Kendra Zantingh and Steve VanderVeen are teaching the Introduction to Management course this semester and creating a new course activity that provides students a venue to learn from Trinity’s alums.
The purpose of BUAD 121 is to introduce students to the business disciplines (accounting, finance, management, marketing), the management functions (planning, organizing, leading, controlling), and to think about them from a Christian perspective. That means we also want students to better understand themselves and how they could engage business culture according to their gifts and calling.
To do so we are creating an event we call “speed interviewing.
The speed interviewing event looks like this. Students and selected alums will gather on Monday, October 17, from 5 PM to 6:30 PM, in the Vermeer Fireside Room in the Administration Building at Trinity. After some light snacks, introductory comments, and directions, student teams will interview alums in 15 minute intervals, according to the students’ current career aspirations. Students will ask questions such as:
- What type of work do you do in your current role? What do you like most about it?
- What skills are especially needed to do your work well?
- What did you major in while at Trinity? How did that help you with the work you do?
- How would you describe your career path?
- How would you characterize your leadership style?
- How would you characterize the culture of the organization?
- What advice to you have for current students?
With the help of our alums we can accomplish our mission of empowering students to discern, develop, and deploy their gifts and calling!